gnome-libs-data: /etc/mime-magic.dat

Can a file that is not human readable (editable) be a conffile?

gnome-libs-data declares /etc/mime-magic.dat (which is some kind of
binary database generated from the textual conffile /etc/mime-magic)
as such. The maintainer thinks this is correct -- I obviously don't.

I'm bringing this up on -policy because I couldn't find explicit text
about this in current policy. Maybe this should be clarified.

My view is that stuff which the admin will (directly) edit should be a
conffile. In this particular case, mime-magic.dat shouldn't be in the
package at all, but rather (re)generated in the postinst. Just like
the aliases databases of various mailers.

--
Robbe