Re: conffiles in /etc/default

Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 05:36:34PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > > Does this change have a rationale (and if so, could it be included in a
> > > footnote), or should it be reverted?
> > >

> > The file is expected to be changed, which would trigger the 'get the new
> > version?' prompt.  Trying to reduce those prompts seems like a good idea.
> >
> > Not sure if that is the rationale ...
>
> Yes, it is.

Well I don't know about you, but most of the files in /etc/default on my
system do not need to be changed. They're all sensible defaults.
They're certianly no more likely to be changed than random other
conffiles in /etc (with the single exception of /etc/init.d/ scripts
that use defaults files...).

In the future, I would appreciate it if policy editors would bring up
such changes *before* proposals are accepted, not change them silently
after the fact. (This was my proposal, IIRC.)

--
see shy jo