Re: [russell@coker.com.au: Re: Adding device file to /dev.]

Hi

> > On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 02:37:19PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > Also make the package check for the presence of the character device
> > > /dev/.devfsd first, if that device exists then your script must not
> > > attempt to create the device node and it should be left for the kernel to
> > > do it!  If you create a node under /dev when devfs is running it may
> > > result in an attempt to load the module, also the node will disappear on
> > > reboot!

MAKEDEV does check for /dev/.devfsd, so as long as people use
MAKEDEV they don't have to bother.

> > > Another thing any package that depends on the creation of nodes under
> > > /dev MUST depend on "makedev | devfsd".  People who run devfsd do not
> > > need to have makedev installed.

I would propose to use MAKEDEV in all cases (and nothing else)
and thus depend on it. (ie packages (except devfsd and such)
must not create device nodes directly but use MAKEDEV.

ciao, 2ri
--
"I didn't know it was impossible when I did it."