Re: Tightening up specification of /bin/sh

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 10:24:26PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 01:05:12PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > > So a situation where we have absolutely no idea if and what POSIX
> > > specifies about something should be quite rare, and I'd be satisfied
> > > to leave this battle to shell implementers.  If we come into a
> > > double mill, backing off by using less disputed shell features is
> > > always an option as well.
> >
> > This leaves nowhere to go if the author of the script and the author
> > of the shell have an unresolvable disagreement.  Again, this has come
> > up in real life twice at least.
>
> Debian has a protocol to follow if there is a dispute among maintainers.
> If everything fails, and no compromise can be reached, the technical
> committee can make a decision.

Isn't that supposed to be a last resort?  Isn't policy here to set
down rules such that disputes can be anticipated and resolved without
having to go through anything more complicated than filing a bug?

> If it helps, we can buy a copy of POSIX for every member of the technical
> committee. ;)

That would cost approximately US$800, which I'm sure Debian could put
to more productive use.

--
zw                I'm on a spaceship full of college students.
                  	-- Martin "PCHammer" Rose