Re: Tightening up specification of /bin/sh

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 01:05:12PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > So a situation where we have absolutely no idea if and what POSIX
> > specifies about something should be quite rare, and I'd be satisfied
> > to leave this battle to shell implementers.  If we come into a
> > double mill, backing off by using less disputed shell features is
> > always an option as well.
>
> This leaves nowhere to go if the author of the script and the author
> of the shell have an unresolvable disagreement.  Again, this has come
> up in real life twice at least.

Debian has a protocol to follow if there is a dispute among maintainers.
If everything fails, and no compromise can be reached, the technical
committee can make a decision.

If it helps, we can buy a copy of POSIX for every member of the technical
committee. ;)

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de