Re: TrueType and non-free X fonts?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 07:00:40PM +0300, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> I have two comments about the X font policy.
>
> This is an excerpt from the policy:
>
>     5. Subdirectories of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ other than those
>        listed above should be neither created nor used. (The PEX and
>        cyrillic directories are excepted for historical reasons, but
>        installation of files into these directories remains
>        discouraged.)
>
> In the recent proposal for policy change made by Branden Robinson, the
> word `should' is replaced by `must'.
>
> The policy says nothing about TrueType fonts and TrueType
> subdirectory.

That's deliberate.  However, all is not lost.

> The packages sharefont and freefont (they contain non-free fonts)
> place the fonts in sharefont and freefont subdirectories.  I think
> that there is good reason about this -- we don't want to make these
> fonts available to the font server by default.  Isn't it better if
> each package with non-free fonts installs them in its own subdirectory
> of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts?

No.  You'll note that:

1) Say you have truetype fonts in a directory called
   /usr/share/fonts/TrueType; you can just add this directory to the
   "Files" section of your XF86Config.  In fact, once we have a policy on
   TrueType fonts, I'll modify dexconf to put such a directory into
   auto-generated XF86Config files by default, and tell xfs something
   similar.
2) The policy does not forbid putting *symlinks* under
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/.

TrueType fonts (and, to a lesser extent, Type1 fonts) have broader
application than just being rasterized by the X Window System.  It's more
FHS-friendly to put them somewhere under /usr/share, and more logical for
programs other than X font rasterizers.  Say, a program like ghostscript,
or a print spooler that uploads fonts to a PostScript printer.

[snip modifications which refer to locations for "free" fonts]

> Of cource this is not an official proposal for policy change, but only
> a question.

I don't believe that different policies should apply to fonts that are not
DFSG-free, just because they are not DFSG-free.

If you need me to elaborate, I can.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |             //     // //  /     /