Re: the math section should really be science

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 12:57:42PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > > Seems to me there's still a gaping hole in policy though.  Is
> > > packages.debian.org really supposed to be the definitive arbiter of policy
> > > with regards to sections?  The grep-available trick is obscure enough to not
> > > count.  Shouldn't these sections rather be in Policy proper?
> >
> > Well, none of these are the canonical source, they just read data from it --
> > the override file, see the /indices/override.* files on every mirror.
>
> Too arbitrary, too inaccessible, too unaccountable.
>
> How is any developer supposed to know to put a package in the science
> section, for instance?  Is he expected to scan through every single override
> file looking at every single package listed therein until he just happens to
> discover one indicating that a science section does in fact exist?

No, you just open dselect and see what sections exist. ;>

It's not like the set of sections changes every day, so you have to
constantly check if anything's been updated. Other than the addition of
"science", I don't think anything changed for several years.