Re: the math section should really be science

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:32:23PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:54:45PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > Seems to me there's still a gaping hole in policy though.  Is
> > packages.debian.org really supposed to be the definitive arbiter of policy
> > with regards to sections?  The grep-available trick is obscure enough to not
> > count.  Shouldn't these sections rather be in Policy proper?
>
> Well, none of these are the canonical source, they just read data from it --
> the override file, see the /indices/override.* files on every mirror.

Too arbitrary, too inaccessible, too unaccountable.

How is any developer supposed to know to put a package in the science
section, for instance?  Is he expected to scan through every single override
file looking at every single package listed therein until he just happens to
discover one indicating that a science section does in fact exist?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A