Re: seeking resolution to issues I have raised

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:40:58PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> Gordon Sadler <gbsadler1@lcisp.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:21:44AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> >> libtool .la files, how can lintian handle this well?
> >
> >Clarification here. Since libtool is Priority: optional... shouldn't
> >packages that use it Build-depend on it? If so you can use that to
> >determine libtool was used, therefore .la files should be shipped as
> >well?
>
> Hmm, aren't there some packages that come with their own libtool?

Yes.  In fact, basically every source tarball that uses libtool
contains its own copy of the libtool shell script.  This is so normal
users don't need libtool to compile the package.

However, developers usually don't keep the libtool file in CVS, since
it's autogenerated (by automake, I think).  So if you have source
straight-from-CVS, it won't have the libtool file, and will need to
Build-Depend on libtool (and probably a bunch of the other
autotools). But this is fairly rare, I think.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
	GnuPG Key: