Re: Question about native packages

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001, Siggi Langauf wrote:
> Currently, it's very unlikely that I release a debian-only update of
> xine. There's a new upstream version every two weeks (at maximum,
> averagely every week). Even if I would make a "debian only" change a few
> hours after a normal release, there are typically a few other changes in
> CVS...

Well, as I said the choice between native and non-native is simply a choice
of source distribuition formats, not of "status" (at least IMHO).

If native works well for your package right, now... then by all means go
ahead and distribute it as native. Just keep in mind that should the
situation change, you might want to change to non-native format to ease up
on our mirrors.

Debian needs to minimize mirror sync pulse, which is the main reason for the
non-native source format. If it gains you nothing, you don't have to use it.

> > 2. Are you likely to do small revisions that only affect the debian/
> >    subdir, and the source package is small ?
> > [...]
>
> What exactly is "small"? xine source tarball is about 800K. It started
> with some 350K in November 2000...

If you have to ask, it is not small :)

> I'd add one additional scenario: Native is a good option for highly
> unstable software. (Here, "Unstable" refers to update frequency, not
> number of crashes.)

Yes.

  Henrique Holschuh