Re: Native packages, broken uploads, and debian policy

    Henrique> On Sun, 04 Feb 2001, Brian May wrote:
    >> Although for native packages (which should not already have a
    >> Debian revision number), -# should probably be appended
    >> instead, so the version stays the same.

    Henrique> No. That is the same as adding a Debian revision (native
    Henrique> packages are forbidden to have '-' in their version
    Henrique> strings, UNLESS there is another '-' in there defining a
    Henrique> debian revision field).

No! I mean for binary deb packages only, where a rebuild is required,
eg. for a new version of the package.

So, the maintainer would upload

x-0.5.7.tar.gz
x-0.5.7.dsc
x-0.5.7_i386.deb

however, when the autobuilder realizes that this needs rebuilding, eg
for a new version of libc6, it creates

x-0.5.7-1_i386.deb

instead of

x-0.5.7_i386.deb
(not allowed; apt-get wont down-load it as the version is the same)

or

x-0.5.7.0.1_i386.deb
(changing the version number like this is stupid, and not even required.)

this is no different to the autobuilder playing around with the Debian
revision number for non-native packages.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>