Re: Native packages, broken uploads, and debian policy

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001, Brian May wrote:
> Although for native packages (which should not already have a Debian
> revision number), -# should probably be appended instead, so the
> version stays the same.

No. That is the same as adding a Debian revision (native packages are
forbidden to have '-' in their version strings, UNLESS there is another '-'
in there defining a debian revision field).

The point I'm trying to make is:
1. If we allow native packages to have a '-' in their version fields at
   all, (which IS EQUIVALENT to saying "debian revision field"), there is
   NO way to detect screwed up uploads of non-native packages as native.

   -> Damage done my non-native packages uploaded as native is higher than
   damage done by the need to reupload source for native packages, as native
   are less than 10% of the number of packages in Debian and non-free.

2. The NMU issue can be solved by our current scheme of appending .0#.

I'm proposing to accept the tradeoff of reuploading native package sources
(i.e.: increasing their "upstream version" field because '-' in native
package version fields would be forbidden) to allow automatic rejection of
non-native packages uploaded as native.

So, let me rephrase the question:

Should we fix the non-native packages being uploaded as native, or not?
To solve that, the cost is the loss of '-' (debian revision field) for
native packages.

It's that simple.

  Henrique Holschuh