Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

>>"Jakob" == Jakob Bøhm <jbj@image.dk> writes:
 Jakob> What I was proposing was, that package maintainers would
 Jakob> (by some future policy change not directly related to non-us)

	Frankly, I would be opposed to such a policy mod. I am not
 convinced that such granularity does not open me up for liability I
 can't afford, aqnd I certainly shall not follow such an edict on my
 non fre package.

 Jakob> be required to state the terms under which they were offering
 Jakob> their work (the package) in mechanical terms, just as DVD authors
 Jakob> state in mechanical terms which areas of the globe are licensed
 Jakob> to use the copyrighted movie.

	Bad analogy. The DVD idiocy is not something I want to emulate
 in the first place, and in the second, we do state how we are
 offering the packages. Either they are part of Debian, or not, and
 whether they can live on the Master server, or not.

 Jakob> Another way of looking at it is that Debian is *already* doing
 Jakob> some of this by dividing packages into main, contrib and non-free,
 Jakob> I am simply suggesting one way to add more granularity.

	And we are doing this to help promote non free software? Is it
 not enough that it is packaged and maintained in the first place?

 Jakob> The underlying idea is, that very few people have the time to
 Jakob> manually review every /usr/share/doc/x/copyright file on their
 Jakob> system and this would allow them to perform fundamental checks
 Jakob> much more easily.

 	Frankly, of the packages are DFSG free, there seems little
 need for evaluating copyright; if they are not free, I think people
 can spend that time.

 Jakob> Another underlying idea is that not all users have the exact
 Jakob> same licensing needs as those expressed by DFSG.  Some may

	But this is Debian. We are defined by the DFSG.

 Jakob> be home users who can accept "no-commercial-use" while others
 Jakob> may be maintainers of non-free packages who consequently
 Jakob> cannot accept GPL libraries as build dependencies.

	In order to meet these peoples needs, we already package the
 non free junk for them. I see no need to further make deployment of
 non free easier, espescially as I feel that entails legal risk.

	If you feel strongly about it, feel free ot offer such
 granularity on the web (and put money where your mouth it, and assume
 all the liability). If you think there is no liability, there should
 be no problem; right?

	manoj
--
 The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about
 nothing and then marry him. Cher