Re: Source package policy problem.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:56:27PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Adam" == Adam McKenna <adam@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Adam> I am trying to make a source package of daemontools by Dan
>  Adam> Bernstein.  Since there is no license for distributing the
>  Adam> source, I have made my source package an installer package.
>
>       Cool. That means your package does not contain any of
> Bernstiens source package, but downloads it on the fly and patches and
> compiles? (That is, BTW, the definition of an installer package, more
> or less)

That's correct.

>  Adam> The only problem I have is the Debian .diff file.  Currently, I
>  Adam> am generating the .diff file, the source .deb, and a binary
>  Adam> .deb from one source tree.  My problem is this: Since there are
>  Adam> no redistribution terms on the source, I cannot upload the
>  Adam> .orig.tar.gz file, which will undoubtedly be referred to in the
>  Adam> signed .dsc file.  My only options appear to be the following:
>
> 	Uhh, why are there no redistribution terms on your package?
>  (and since you do not in any way, shape, or form include Dan's
>  code, your code is all that is in the  package)

There aren't any.  The problem is that the "source package" that I use to
build the installer package contains the original source (the .diff.gz needs
to be included in the installer package)..  That source package cannot be
uploaded to debian machines, or redistributed at all for that matter.  So, I
am in the (somewhat unique) position of having a package that has no
.orig.tar.gz.  Really, the only solution I can come up with is to make the
.dsc, .changes, and .diff file separately, and manually copy them over to a
second build dir where I make the installer package.  So, I was hoping for a
more automated way of doing this.

> 	I hope you are not compiling binaries and putting them in your
>  package, for that would be in violation of common Dan bernstien
>  licences.

Of course not.

> 	I suggest you ask in Debian mentors if you have questions
>  about this post.

I forwarded this message there as well, haven't received a response yet.

--Adam