Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 03:40:56PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Jakob" == Jakob Bøhm <jbj@image.dk> writes:
>
>  Jakob> 2. Mechanical filtering on specific common issues including
>  Jakob> the meta-issue "other problems" becomes possible, e.g. when
>  Jakob> creating cd-roms or mirrors, or when setting up a
>  Jakob> fool-proofing filter on apt to protect oneself from accidentally
>  Jakob> installing the wrong thing.
>
>  Jakob> Some examples of issues for 2 include
>
>  Jakob> no-source (example: Netscape, opera)
>  Jakob> no-commercial-use (example: zyxel)
>  Jakob> payment-required (example: opera<5.0)
>  Jakob> contains-crypto (example: RSA, gnupg)
>  Jakob> uses-us-patent (example: IDEA, GIF)
>  Jakob> uses-non-us-patent (example: IDEA)
>  Jakob> contaminates-result-license (example: old bison)
>  Jakob> no-sell-copies (problem for cd-rom or pre-installed system)
>  Jakob> requires-other-sw (example: wrapper script which is not itself DFSG)
>  Jakob> requires-specific-hw (example: driver licensed only for specific hw)
>  Jakob> other-problems (any problems not listed, alone or in addition)
>
> 	Someone got convicted in Texas for doing something vaguely
>  similar, on the grounds they were practicing law without a
>  licence. In fact, you shall be opening yourself to liability in the
>  US, since this is close to giving legal advice to people.
>
> 	This is one of the resons we have not previously classified
>  the non-free packages.

IANAL, but,

I believe the case in texas had to do with a company called Nolo,
which made a business out of selling do-it-yourself law guides (wills,
suits, divorces, etc).  The Texas legal profession got pissed, since
Nolo was taking their clients, and sued.  I think that the package
categorization is really a far cry from what Nolo was doing (not that
I think Texas was right to prosecute them).  It should also be noted
that the case against Nolo is over, and Texas in fact passed a law
protecting them from such suits.  See http://www.nolo.com/Texas

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/