Re: changelog bug-closing should not be used unless the code changes

    Chris> I'm not sure I agree with the much-more-friendly part.  I'd
    Chris> rather see a descriptive changelog entry than a terse and
    Chris> uninformative separate email.  Basically, I'd say
    Chris> friendliness has more to do with style than with delivery
    Chris> mechanism.

I think it is harder on the bug submitter to find out why the bug was
closed. First you have to wade through the changelog entries to find
the one relevant to the bug you submitted,

    Chris> I might even go so far as to suggest that we should
    Chris> deprecate all other methods of closing bugs, and use the
    Chris> changelog entries as our *preferred* bug-closing mechanism.
    Chris> Therefore, if Ian is making a policy proposal, I firmly
    Chris> oppose it.

Sometimes you can close a bug straight away - eg. if the bug was filed
in mistake, or a non-bug, etc. You don't always want to wait until the
next package release just so you can close a bug.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>