Re: of virtual packages and services

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 02:03:07AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 05:15:33PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> > For this, there should be some central authority deciding about
> > /etc/inetd.conf. update-inetd is a good try, but not complete enough
> > Something more like update-alternatives could work.
>
> update-inetd is just buggy (in design, if not implementation).
>
> > Package postinst should do something like:
> > update-inetd-entry finger stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/efingerd
>
> Or, perhaps more sensibly:
>
>   if [ "$SHOULD_I_ENABLE_THE_SERVICE" = "yes" ]; then
>     update-inetd finger stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/efingerd
>   fi
>
> ...where $SHOULD_I_ENABLE_THE_SERVICE is debconf'ed or something.

of course, that it up to the package maintainer to decide...
together with decision if the package will run from inetd or as standalone
daemon.

> Possibly:
>
>     update-inetd --add finger/tcp nowait /usr/sbin/efingerd \
> 		--uid nobody -gid nobody
>
> would be a better syntax, with update-inetd having deprecated backwards
> compatability for the current syntax.
>
> > and update-inetd-entry is a hypotetical program which comments out other
> > finger entries, adds my finger entry, automagically adding tcp wrappers if
> > they are installed.
> > and then (analogous to update-alternatives), it uncomments one of
> > remaining daemons (if any) providing this service
>
> Hrm. Using its own database like update-alternatives, or comments in
> /etc/inetd.conf, or...? Is update-alternatives really the example to
> follow here? I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense.

using own database makes it easier to actually implement, but I do not like
the idea of Yet Another Database For Generation of Config File, and
inetd.conf can serve by itself as such database as well (comments etc).
Actually, I could implement something like that in no time in Python :-)
Well, of course, it has to be in C to be feasible.