Re: of virtual packages and services

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 05:15:33PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> For this, there should be some central authority deciding about
> /etc/inetd.conf. update-inetd is a good try, but not complete enough
> Something more like update-alternatives could work.

update-inetd is just buggy (in design, if not implementation).

> Package postinst should do something like:
> update-inetd-entry finger stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/efingerd

Or, perhaps more sensibly:

  if [ "$SHOULD_I_ENABLE_THE_SERVICE" = "yes" ]; then
    update-inetd finger stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/efingerd
  fi

...where $SHOULD_I_ENABLE_THE_SERVICE is debconf'ed or something.

Possibly:

    update-inetd --add finger/tcp nowait /usr/sbin/efingerd \
		--uid nobody -gid nobody

would be a better syntax, with update-inetd having deprecated backwards
compatability for the current syntax.

> and update-inetd-entry is a hypotetical program which comments out other
> finger entries, adds my finger entry, automagically adding tcp wrappers if
> they are installed.
> and then (analogous to update-alternatives), it uncomments one of
> remaining daemons (if any) providing this service

Hrm. Using its own database like update-alternatives, or comments in
/etc/inetd.conf, or...? Is update-alternatives really the example to
follow here? I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense.

Hmmm.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark