Re: Finger daemons in Debian should use a virtual package

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 08:50:09PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 12:44:32PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> >
> > the point is, unless there is some hairy and complicated testing in
> > (pre|post)(inst|rm), the best solution is to make all finger daemons
> > conflict with each other. At least until there is some other way of dealing
> > with /etc/inetd.conf than update-inetd (e.g. debconf query).
> > And there is not much advantage in having more finger daemons installed
> > simultaneously anyway.
>
> Well, if everyone copied the netstd code in the first place, we won't be
> having this discussion.  It's really simple, your own entry is identified

In the first place, there was no fingerd when I packaged efingerd. I copied
cfingerd code, lost some hair in debugging it and wrote my own, depending on
Conflicts: (all other daemons) to circumvent misfeatures in cfingerd
(and others) postinst.

> by the pattern given by the name of your daemon.  If there is an uncommented
> fingerd entry at postinst time, add your own entry but comment it out.
> Otherwise add it as usual.  At removal time, use the pattern to remove your
> entry.
>
> Conflicts aren't needed and there is no hairy and complicated testing.

after uninstalling both fingerd and cfingerd my /etc/inetd.conf contains:
#:INFO: Info services
finger          stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.fingerd
#<off># finger          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/cfingerd

now I issue this command: (taken from fingerd postinst)
update-inetd --group INFO --add "#finger             stream  tcp     nowait nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.fingerd"

and now my /etc/inetd.conf contains:
#:INFO: Info services
finger          stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.fingerd
finger          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/cfingerd

I was going to explain it, when a mail from Josip Rodin just arrived :-)
See an explanation in his mail.