Re: Alternative names in upstream changelogs

Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Fine if you don't care about preserving the name. It can be important to
> > preserve the name if some other document refers to CHANGES, or if
> > you think the upstream author might refer to the CHANGES sometime or
> > be annoyed that you renamed it.
> >
> > I don't think something should go in policy that outlaws this option
> > and mandates on of the below options.
>
> Would expand a little on this? You seem to disaprove of not providing
> the change log under its original name (modulo .gz) (and I agree), but
> then don't think policy should forbid it, and more to the point, the
> default of dh_installchangelogs isn't '-k'.

The default would become -k if something about preserving names was
added to policy.

I don't think the name always has to be preserved, it seems that in some
cases there would be no benefit from doing so. As I said at the top of
this messages, there are circumstances where it adds value.. but I don't
see any proof that it _always_ adds value.

--
see shy jo