Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On 30 Nov 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Rando Christensen <illuzion@xanthor.net> writes:
>
> > In the Real-World application, though, installing 300+ copies of the GPL
> > is absurd, and, quite frankly, a waste of space. Which seems the only way
> > to satisfy him.
>
> Certainly it's not necessary, as has been pointed out a jillion times
> already in this thread.  We could very easily make sure the GPL is in
> all the relevant .debs and yet not need to install a jillion copies on
> the user's disk...(elllipsis added)

...just have a jillion copies in the archives.  How many packages in the
full Debian Archive?  Multiply that by the number of hardware ports.  Now
divide out the proportion of Debian Packages with no GPL software
inside.  Now multiply that by the ~18K that
/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL takes.  Not a very insubstantial size for
a non-technically derived fix, is it?