Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

At 09:44 pm +0100 on November 30, 2000, Nils Lohner wrote:

> Congratulations!
> - you just made every CVS archive unusable because every source file that
> has a license term in it needs to be checked out with a complete copy of the
> GPL.
> - you made apt-get <package> unusable unless it too ships the GPL with every
> package, or every single package includes it.
> - you made every binary program (see 'ls' example) copy from one computer to
> the next a violation because the license is not transferred with it.
> - you made every email of a code or header under GPL file be mailed with a
> license.
>
> ...and probably a bunch of other things, but I think you get the point.

_I_ made these things unusable?  I think not.  Please don't shoot the
messenger.

> >_Yes_ its absurd.  But that's not my problem; I didn't write the license.
> >
>   Sorry, but your interpretation IMO is what's absurd.  You didn't write it,
> but you are _interpreting_ it, and an interpretation is subjective
> (depending on who's doing the interpretation) and not objective.
>
> The GPL is not ridiculous, and tries to protect the freedom of the code and
> ensure the user knows what's up.  If you do 'ls --version' and have a name
> of the license or a pointer to it (URL or file) you're ensuring what the GPL
> wants to ensure: freedom and knowledge thereof, and the means of finding out
> more.

Great, but none of the above and none of the below refutes my
interpretation.  If you think I'm wrong please quote the GPL and explain
why.  I would love to be proven wrong (and probably will be :-). Just
don't resort to ad hominem attacks ("people who have nothing better to
do...") and claims to the effect of "I don't like the consequences of
that interpretation, so I won't accept it."

	brian