Re: CDDB db grand unifaction

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 02:27:43PM +0000, Dave Swegen did utter:
> Hi! Over the past few months I've been trying out a number of CD
> players, and have been slightly annoyed by the fact that different
> players deal with local cddb databases in different ways, resulting in a
> number of (sometimes incompatible) db storage schemes, and shedloads of
> dot-directories. Often this means that symlinks have to manually
> created, which of course is a PITA.
>
> What I would like to see is a policy covering how cddb-capable programs
> should behave. Perhaps this is outside the scope of Debian, but if it
> isn't, and there seems to be some interest I would be happy to put
> together some sort of proposal. I guess that it would require that all
> programs use ~/.cddb/ for user dbs, and /var/cddb for system-wide dbs.
>
> Please feel free to rip apart the idea :)

It's a good idea - one I've started to look at myself in fact - to the point
I have a shell scripted cddbd running locally (thanks to Robert Sander, I
got this from freedb.org), as well as a homemade script to get the disc-id
from the current audio CD, and retrieve the appropriate entry from
freedb.org - and dump it into /var/lib/cddb/<path>
...At some point I plan to combine the retrieval program into the existing
cddb.sh script to give me a fully working, local/minimal cddbd - which I'd
then point all local cddb-aware CDplayers at.

But I digress.

A policy that all cddb-aware program use freedb.org would be very good IMHO,
and I cannot see why anyone would object. Standard locations for local-user
and system-wide dbs are also a good-thing :)

.../Cameron

--
| nemo         | Life's highway traverses | nemo@net.house.cx              |
| Owen Cameron | the indigo wastelands.   | http://www.net.house.cx/~nemo/ |