Re: Use $DEB_BUILD_DIR rather than parent directory?

    Wichert> Previously Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
    >> Does it? Why not just have dpkg override that final parameter
    >> with $DEB_BUILD_DIR? If someone sets this variable, they
    >> clearly want the files to go there and not '..'.

    Wichert> No tool should try to second-guess the user.

Depends if you define user as the "packager" or the "compiler". I am
not sure if you are arguing for or against the change here.

I would argue (although I don't feel strongly about this) that it
should be the "compilers"[1] choice, and not the "packagers" choice.
I would also argue that the "packager" shouldn't try to second guess
the requirements of the "compiler", because the packager has no way of
knowing how the "compiler" likes to organise their source code.

IMHO: This proposal is similar to others, eg. for the EDITOR
environment variable, where it was decided that the end user should
have the final say. The only difference here, is that patches to
upstream code are not required.

Note:
[1] argghh! what should I call the "compiler" (person doing the
compilation) so it doesn't get confused with the C compiler?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>