Re: Use $DEB_BUILD_DIR rather than parent directory?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:37:03AM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> I recently filed this wishlist bug
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=77153&repeatmerged=yes)
> against dpkg-dev, and Wichert told me to take it up with policy,
> so here i am.

> I think it would be nice if the package-building tools would
> place files in $DEB_BUILD_DIR if it is set. If it isn't, they
> will continue their current behavior of dropping them in the
> parent directory.

I think Wichert was wrong in this case.  I don't think policy should
be in charge of every minor feature of the toolkit, especially not
optional features.  This feature would have no effect unless you used
it, and has no impact on interpackage relationships or other matters
that policy is usually concerned with.  The only *potential* problem I
see is environment variable namespace pollution, and I hope we're not
going to start voting on each and every varname the project uses! :-)

cheers

p.s. in the meantime, you might be able to work around the issue with
some sort of NFS ad-hackery, or something similar.  But it's ugly,
and serious overkill of you're not already running NFS.

# mkdir /deb/build/dir/mnt
# mount -t nfs localhost:/path/to/source /deb/build/dir/mnt
# cd /deb/build/dir/mnt
# dpkg-buildpackage --options

Or something along those lines...