Unidentified subject!

To: Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
Cc: debian-policy@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Priorities
From: Adam Di Carlo <apharris@arroz.fake>
Date: 20 Nov 2000 13:26:51 -0500

Sorry I didn't really catch this mail, just now catching up.

> Well, what if I changed that to be say, "Install enough packages for
> someone to get good use of  some type of hardware they have attached
> to their computer, described generically". So "task-printer" but not
> "task-hp-laserjet-1100a-printer". So does that mean "task-dialup"
> should cope with all "dialup" access (ISDN, ADSL, cable, and whatever
> else), rather than having different tasks for each sort of home
> internet connectivity?

That's a good point. Perhaps task packges *should* have some
configuration logic insofar as they are helping the user fulfill
additional package dependancies which cannot be solved strictly with
Depends, etc.

> PErhaps "dialup" isn't a perfect name. Similarly "task-x-core" would
> seem to make sense in so far as letting you make use of your monitor
> goes. But it's somewhat different in that that just lets you use
> different programs, whereas printers and networks are somewhat more
> external.

Well, I think we need to step back, get debconf into Policy, and
perhaps think through how we're doing this sort of configuration.

I would note that these same problems are being confronted and dealt
with (on a somewhat lower level) by the boot-floppies replacement
effort on debian-installer.

I would further reiterate my believe that hardware configuration
issues should not be solved strictly as a Debian problem, since it is
instead a general Linux problem (or Hurd, or whatever).