Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

Manoj, plain and simple, relocation is a hack used for non-native systems.
Most of the issues I am talking about are for native Debian systems that
do not all follow the same dir format. The build cases for third-party is
a plus. See, my solution works in all cases. Relocation does not help
32/64 ports, it does not solve recompiles on things like Solaris, *BSD
and such. Relocation is only useful for installing Debian packages on
non-Debian systems (like RedHat), for installing path conflicting packages
(two MTA's?) which we don't really want to support, and for people with
space problems where they don't have anything left in /, so they mount a 1
giger on /usr/local and put everything there.

Relocation is not a real solution to the full set of problems. It is a
workaround for other issues (and a really poor one, IMO).

Now that I got that out of my system we can move on. I think our
discussion on IRC layed out the groundwork and hopefully resolved our
discrepancies.

Ben