Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 03:52:28PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:
>
>  Jason> Support for other OS's is a good reason I think, but then
>  Jason> again - they are non-free..
>
> 	And we need to scope the effort invovled -- and whether the
>  effort has to be so heavy and deep reaching.

SO you would reather break this down into 3 or four solutions to handle
each type of case, thus making it more complex and less general at the
cost of saving you a few lines of code in debian/rules? I mean how hard is
it to do :

+include /etc/dpkg-dev/dirs.$(DEBIAN_GNU_HOST_TYPE)

-	./configure
+	./configure --sbindir=$(sbindir) --bindir=$(bindir) --etcdir=$(etcdir)

-	install -m 644 myREADME.txt debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/foo/
+	install -m 644 myREADME.txt debian/tmp$(docdir)/foo

Is this really that much work? Any more so than implementing your
relocation stuff in dpkg and then worrying about people filing bugs on
packages that can't be relocated and trying to hack them up so they can?
Even considering that not every package can be relocated (gcc?). Your
solution probably solves less than 10% of the cases that I initially
listed. Plus it requires someone to actually implement this incredibly
fragile things into an already fragile package management tool.