Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 02:48:18PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         Would this not be easier done by having a mapping done at
>  unpack/install time, and then only scripts/programs with hard coded
>  paths need be changed?
>
> 	So dpkg would map the Linux FS to the local FS' and it can
>  even take into account things like transforming to /opt heirarchy.
>
> 	Advantage? Not every darned script/package has to be changed
>  for this functionality.

Oh, and let's not forget that most build scripts hardcode these paths
anyway, so it's a matter of replacing the hardcoded parts with a variable,
and adding a line that sources the var file.

Heck, perl module packages can mostly be left alone, and dh_* scripts can
be made to handle it, thus removing the need for a large chunk of packages
to do nothing, or very little.

Yes it will take some work, but no more than a) the usr/doc ->
usr/share/doc move is taking, nor the Build-Depends updates, nor any of
the other major changes we have undertaken. Don't knock down a good idea
simply because you have to put a small bit of effort into it.

Ben