Re: RFC: initscript policy proposal

Generally very nice (haven't read the actual scripts yet...). I definitely
approve.

I've one question/concern/objection, though. In your diff of 3.3.3.2, you
have:

> +     By default, `invoke-rc.d' will pass any action requests (start, stop,
> +     reload, restart...) to the /etc/init.d script, filtering out requests
> +     to start a service out of its intended runlevels as defined by
> +     `update-rc.d' and the system administrator. Also, requests to restart a
> +     service out of its intended runlevels are changed to a stop request.

The last sentence causes a problem in the following (contrived?)
scenario.

1. Daemon foo is not configured to run at current runlevel.

2. I, the sysadmin, have started foo by hand.

3. I do a apt-get upgrade, which includes a new versin of foo. Because
of "restart converted to stop", foo is stopped.

I propose that instead of "restarts converted to stops" we just go with
"restarts ignored". I realize that this would cause the new version of
foo to be ignored, but that may be less surprising than having foo go
away completely,

OTOH, if 'maybe-restart' worked even if foo is not configured at the
current run-level (it's not clear to me that it does or doesn't, but I
only did quick skim of the descriptions), and packages strongly urged to
use it in the postinst, that would be a better solution.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read