Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 09:56:22PM -0500, cfm@maine.com wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 09:04:54PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> qmail(-src) can be added to the list too.  Somehow it kept sucking
> up disk space that I could not find.  Kill and restart freed
> and fixed that.
>
> I don't know a lot about shared libs.  My understanding is that
> as long as something is using libxyz.so.123 it will stay in memory
> and other programs looking for it will find that version.  If that's
> right and it's something like libc, wouldn't any long lived process
> cause same problem?  That could be anything.

No, running processes continue to use it, but newly started processes will
use the new one (since the inode has changed, and this the dl reference).

> At a certain point it's unsafe **not** to restart a system.  After
> some upgrades we've had half a dozen boxes go down within hours of
> each other a couple of days after upgrade.

Hell NO! :) This does not require a complete reboot. Restarting processes
is the only thing that is needed. libc6 even ensures that init is
reloaded, so it isn't holding the old libc in memory.