Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

> This would require lots of changes to packages.

so we change lots of packages.  Debian is being used by IS more and more these
days.  At VA alone we have some 100+ Debian machines now.  The current package
setup makes this a headache for updates.  Being able to log output and ensure
that the user will not have to smack enter every few minutes would go a long
way.  I would love for Debian to be able to go to LISA (Large Install Sys
Admin Conference) and hold its head up.

Fighting change because we will have to modify a good part of debian is no
excuse.  Debian has a long history of doing the technically correct thing even
if it meant some hard work.  We went from dselect to apt, the addition of
debhelper, the growth of debconf, dinstall is being changed, etc.  All for the
better.

I know that I am asked for a way to log package output EVERY tradeshow and
whenever there are more than 3 debian users in a room.  Most everyone wants to
have apt-get upgrade in a cron job.