Re: Preparing Debian for using capabilities: file ownership.

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 01:07:18AM -0300, Nicol?s Lichtmaier wrote:
>  Why can't those programs be enhanced to protect the `bin' user?

For the most part, they can protect an arbitrary set of users, if
configured properly.

However, if bin owns binaries which are run by root, you've just made it
so that cracking bin is equivalent to cracking root.  Simple example:
let's say that bin owns /bin/sh.  So you replace /bin/sh and wait for
the next time root runs a shell script.

Increasing security isn't a matter of making random changes to the system.

> Anyway, al those protections were designed with the traditional
> security scheme in mind. So yes, this is a real problem, and these
> utilities should be changed.
>
>  Sooner or later we'll need to address all this. I can't see why don't
> we start now.

How about figuring out what you're talking about, first?

--
Raul