Re: : Question regarding actions to take on --purge of a package.

>>"Greg" == Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

 Greg> This is an old thread that I have a new twist on. I just got
 Greg> bit by a purge that removed a file I really wouldn't have liked
 Greg> it to, but I think the packages involved were doing what they
 Greg> should have been doing according to current policy. I think
 Greg> there's a deficiency in our conception of file ownership by
 Greg> packages that this is pointing up.

	I think the deficiency is in the packaging, not the manual.

 Greg> libfoo1 has a config file, but it's rarely edited and possible
 Greg> to set up almost automatically, so the postinst creates it
 Greg> based on a couple questions.  Because it's altered by the
 Greg> postinst it's not considered a "configfile" by dpkg nor is it
 Greg> in the package contents.

 Greg> Now a new version of foo comes out, and a new package libfoo2
 Greg> is released but it uses the same configuration file as
 Greg> libfoo1.

	*BZZZZZZZT*. Mistake. New package, new configuration file --
 the postinst should have looked at any previous libfoo1 config file
 for defaults, but it should have a separate config file.

 Greg> However when libfoo1 is no longer needed and it's
 Greg> removed since there are no "configfiles" the postrm is run with
 Greg> the "purge" argument which dutifully removes any files that
 Greg> were created by the installation process.

	If the config files were separate, there would have been o
	problems.

 Greg> Now libfoo2 no longer has its config file.

	Because it never created one.

 Greg> How should this situation have been handled? The only
 Greg> consistent way I can see is having a libfoo-config package that
 Greg> contained just the single configuration that both packages
 Greg> need. That seems like way overkill for a single file though.

	This has way more overhead than a single configuration
 file. How bg is this file, anyway? Most people who actuallyedit the
 file (a rare occurrence, you say) shall notice that tehre are two
 files, libfoo1-config and libfoo2-config, and shall realize that
 edits may need to go in each.

 Greg> The only alternative I see is allowing files to be owned by
 Greg> multiple packages and keeping track of when they're no longer
 Greg> needed by any package. That seems like a lot of work though.

	Lot of work, and quite unnecessary.

	manoj
--
 Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #3: Q: When he went, had you gone
 and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being