Re: A thought on urgency

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> The idea we struck on was for each package to have a 'urgency serial
> number' which exists on the ring [0...N]. The difference in the priority
> serial numbers of any two packages indicates how urgent the upgrade is.

Actually, I would prefer not to use numbers in the actual Packages file. We
should use a textual representation; implementations can convert to
numbers as needed. Contrast with the Priority field. Of course this
messes with your idea of continually incrementing numbers.

And the changelog probably is the right place as far as the source
package goes. It's annoying to force people to edit the control file
every time they upload. We could just use the urgency= field from the
changelog, and insert the data from it into whereever in the .deb or
.changes file (not it already goes to the .changes file).

--
see shy jo