Re: Picking apart the packaging manual (long)

 Wichert> Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> I am also ambivalent about sections like 4.1 "Syntax of
 >> control files". That section could be said to belong in policy, as
 >> dictating the standard format of control files, and any change may
 >> affect every package there is, on the other hand, this is merely
 >> needed to ensure the correct working of dpkg and friends, and not a
 >> policy issue.

 Wichert> Maybe in both; if I'm going to make a more fleshed out dpkg
 Wichert> reference manual or so it needs to be in there anyway since
 Wichert> dpkg has some currently undocumented features to support
 Wichert> experimental fields in control files. Those should not be
 Wichert> part of policy.

	Well, part of the difficulty in classifying this material is
 that one has to make the judement call on whether the things being
 referred to are supposed to be standard API's that shall not be
 lightly changed, and thus viable policy items, or they are merely the
 artifacts of current behaviour of the packaging system. Given your
 response, I shall include the syntax of control files as a policy
 item.

	I'll bring up other items that I am unsure about as I go
 through the packaging manual.

	manoj
--
 People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction
 rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. John