Re: PLEASE: standard package README file/orientation

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:17:32PM -0400, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> > > Debian packages don't provide that orientation reliably at all.
> > ls -l /usr/doc/foo
> > dpkg -L foo |grep bin
> > dpkg -L foo |grep man
> > dpkg -L foo |grep info
> > works for *every* package.  (Yes, I know it would be more efficient
> > to combine into one dpkg -L command, I left it as an exercise for the
> > reader.)
> If Debian really thinks that is sufficient, then this is hopeless.

Then why isn't it sufficient?

Is it not GUI-fied enough? Then please, write a little GUI that lets you
enter a package name, and will then run the above and say "this package
has these binaries, would you like to look at their manapage or info
page?" and lets you click on the manpages or infopages that exist? Thanks
to the existance of dpkg -L that shouldn't be particularly difficult to
write, and it doesn't require 4000 packages to be changed so it's much
much easier to get accepted.

What, exactly, is it you want that dpkg -L doesn't provide?

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark