Re: MAKEDEV in postinst files

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 11:40:10 -0700 (+0000), Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 18-Jul-2000 Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > Debian policy says:
> > 4.6. Device files
> > -----------------
> > No package may include device files in the package file tree.
> >
> > If a package needs any special device files that are not included in the
> > base system, it has to call `makedev' in the `postinst' script, after asking
> > the user for permission to do so.
>
> things like this is what debconf is designed to help with.  It handles the "I
> already asked logic" plus it can be told the answer ahead of time.

Good point, but it's still a question.  In fact adding debconf support
raises the interesting question - what severity should the question be -
critical?

The package I'm maintaining (tpctl) adds /dev/thinkpad (root.root
0660) and so "low" would seem more appropriate - in fact not asking at all
seems appropriate to me :-)

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-   because I'm allergic to Prozac   -*-  www.debian.org