MAKEDEV in postinst files

Debian policy says:
4.6. Device files
-----------------
No package may include device files in the package file tree.

If a package needs any special device files that are not included in the
base system, it has to call `makedev' in the `postinst' script, after asking
the user for permission to do so.
------------------

Isn't this just a tad invasive?  A check of some postinst's on my box
(packages a little of of date, but not much):

packages which prompt before creating the device:
libggi-target-fbdev

packages which create a device without prompting:
alsa
cdrecord
device3dfx
fbset
xcdroast
xserver

fdutils just tells the user to run it - which breaks unless you "cd /dev"
first.  runs MAKEFLOPPIES which seems to just do it too.

If things create something which could be a security hole then a prompt
makes sense, but every time seems excessive.

Please Cc: me as I'm only subscribed to policy, not devel.

Thanks

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-   because I'm allergic to Prozac   -*-  www.debian.org