Re: new fields in debian/control

>  	If it turns out to be generally useful, should we not
>  at least consider building it in, rahter than asking everyone to hack
>  their own variant? I think that the Origin is corelated to the BTS,
>  and the BTS is trongly related to the style, and this should be
>  reflected in the implemntation (make the common things easy).

I think we have different ideas about the point of the Origin field.
If you set up debian/rules to conditionally build for FSSTND, FHS 2.1,
or FHS 6.57 depending on which release of Debian you happen to be
targeting, you won't be changing the origin.  So why make it easy to
say -O Vitamin-D but not --distribution slink?  Environment variables
work just fine if you want to change behavior without editing files.

>  	This is a very narrow view. I often have local packages, I try
>  them out as experiments, and may well have different policies, build
>  depends, etc for when they are local, as opposed to when they are
>  uploaded by me to Debian.

So you'll want to put conditionals in debian/rules for your own personal
policies to be followed whenever Origin is set to 'local' and then leave
this in the package you upload to Debian?  So if you want your manpages
in /opt/local/var and your config files in /usr/local/lib, you can just
do -O local or -O manoj?  Then if I want to build a customized version
of your package with the manpages in /usr/share/man and the config files
in /usr/local/lib, I have to edit debian/rules and either create my own
origin-based conditionals or modify yours.  On the other hand, if you use
environment variables, I could simply do something like
DEB_BUILD_CONFIGFILES=manoj dpkg-buildpackage -blah -blah -blah

>           If tweaking the design allows this wider usage, why should
>  we not do iut that way? ANd, incindetllay, I think one should have
>  origins be handled the same way dupload handles upload locations:
>  each origin could have its own preset BTS field, etc, and as long as
>  I am happy witht he defaults, I can switch from local + tested to
>  debian upload with no changes.

If there are going to be no changes between Origin: local and Origin: Debian,
and you're not going to be distributing the deb, then what is the point of
setting Origin: local?  To prevent yourself from filing bugs against your
own package?