Re: new fields in debian/control

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> > > dpkg has no access to the Release file.
> >
> > Duh.
> >
> > Why don't you try to fix that instead.
>
> No, the Release file is a wrong design, dpkg *cannot* access it.

dpkg can access it just fine in all the contexts where a Release file
can exist (being called from APT basically), the only problem I see is
that hand installed debs would lack this information - a much smaller
price to pay than having a proliferation of 'not quite the same' .debs.

Personally I find the thought of Corel/Stormix/etc all having their own
versions of all our packages with just the BTS tags changed quite
distressing.

People have always wanted Debian to be a base system, we should try to
help that by keeping hard references to our infrastructure out of the
archives.

Jason