Re: problem with emacs configuration scripts

tb@MIT.EDU (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> The menu-methods technique works fine, but I don't think it would
> violate my proposed policy addition.  Perhaps a better way to say it
> is:
>
> "Packages which install conffiles should be careful that those
> conffiles do not continue to affect the behavior of other programs
> once the package has been removed.  It should not be necessary to
> purge a package in order to prevent it from having an affect on other
> programs."
>
> menu-methods installers would meet this by changing the mode.  Emacs
> scripts could do it by my "callout" suggestion or by having the emacs
> load code do something more clever than it does now.

I still like this policy idea.

But the octave maintainer has suggested a different solution: change
the elisp start file to check for the existence of relevant files, and
only do its thing if the package is really installed.  (That's
basically what /etc/init.d scripts already do.)