Re: 'editor' alternative policy?

On 22-Jun-00, 20:15 (CDT), "Carl R. Witty" <cwitty@newtonlabs.com> wrote:
> Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:
> > In fact, I wouldn't mind revisiting the idea that the vi clones should
> > be ranked much lower. Anybody who want vi is going to type vi; somebody
> > who is so new to unix that they type "editor" probably ought to have
> > something a little more friendly, like nano or ee or ae. (For the
> > record, I maintain nvi, *like* vi, and thing the pico/nano interface is
> > hideous. But I know which one has a better chance of being successfully
> > used by a complete newbie...assimilation can wait!)
>
> I definitely agree that vi should be lower ranked.  I don't care so
> much about the people who type "editor"; I worry more about people who
> try to use "bug", or who accidentally hit 'v' when using "less", etc.

Yes, although I'll the easy way out of this one is to set the VISUAL or
EDITOR environment variables, which should be within the capabilities of
someone using reportbug (much better than bug!) or less.

> p.s. IANAD

On a completely different topic, I've been seeing this pop up more
and more often lately. If, as I assume, it stands for "I Am Not A
Developer", I find it a little disturbing that people feel the need to
state it, as if it makes there opinions inherently less[1] valuable, or
that they think someone is going to challenge them on that basis. A good
idea can come from anyone, and I think that Debian has promoted that
through its history by making all[2] of our decisions out in the open,
with input from both developers and non-developers. I do not want to see
that change.

Steve

[1] or, perhaps,  more :-)

[2] Okay, almost all, given the existence of debian-private. I guess
you'll have to trust me that 99% of the traffic on that list is dreck.