Re: unusable examples in apckages ...

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 01:17:08PM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> > Well, in the mlgtk package i maintain, i have the Makefile gunzipping the
> > needed file automatically, and make clean gziping them again. (i also have a
> > make clean in the example dir during prerm, so dpkg will remove the correct
> > files).
> >
> > I think something such as that is a good solution, since the files can still
> > be installed gzipped, and only someone who wants to test them will unzip this,
> > thus using less space in /usr ...
>
>  No. We must not encourage users to work in /usr/... . I even think that
> having those files "unuseable" is good for that, it makes users copy them
> elsewhere.

Well, /usr/share/... is read only for the user anyway, so he will need to copy
them over to /tmp or his work directory anytway. Once this is done he should
only need to type make or ./configure. Or else the way of use the example
should be written in some kind of how_to_use ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER