Re: Policy updating?

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 12:33:13AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> At the moment, a policy version 4.0.0.0 is sitting in the
> CVS tree and on (one of) Manoj's web pages (can't remember which), but
> it would be nice to put in some more recent agreements and actually
> release the thing.

This sounds good. Personally, I could care less about the version number
[0].

> So the main sticking point now is "non-sexy" proposals which are
> obviously correct and obviously need implementing, but can't arouse
> enough interest to get seconds, or those which are obviously wrong and
> should be dropped, but nobody bothers to object to.

Another problem, IMO, is the vicious circle that since policy's not
really doing anything, nobody's paying attention to it, so nothing's
getting done.

> I suggest that we have a couple of policy caretakers (DPL delegates?)
> who are able to announce to the -policy list (via the BTS) about such
> proposals: "This proposal has had no seconds and no objections.  If no
> objections/seconds are received within 2 weeks, the proposal will be
> considered accepted/rejected."

We could just count the policy maintainers' seconds as worth two normal
seconds in the absence of further discussion. There still has to be
"consensus", but if a few people agree (proposer and editor), and no
one disagrees, I think that counts.

It doesn't help that the policy editors aren't really about, atm. (Manoj's
made 56 posts to -policy this year, Richard's made 10, mdorman's made
1, Phil Hands doesn't seem to have made any; more importantly perhaps,
no ones uploaded a new -policy package in that time).

> I would initially volunteer Manoj (assuming he's willing) and myself
> for this (not particularly exciting) task.

Is there any good reason for Julian not to be an official policy
maintainer? Assuming he's willing?

> Do people find this an acceptable compromise for the time being?

Sounds sensible.

Cheers,
aj

[0] But not without *really* trying. Silly idiom.

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark