Re: [RFD]: Question regarding actions to take on --purge of a package.

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:19:26AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Raul> The simple solution to letting the administrator know the
>     Raul> package which created the file (which you already see in
>     Raul> place here) is to ensure that the path name has the package
>     Raul> name clearly embedded.

> Your solution: administrator manually cleans up mess left behind by
> removing package.

Well, if removing a package and reinstalling a conflicting package
results in the conflicting package not working, I don't think they
should share their config files.

> My solution: dpkg does it.

As long as it does it safely, I'm happy.

>     Raul> Finally, what's the difference between user files and
>     Raul> database files?  Location stored?  We're currently
>     Raul> experiencing a controversy where creation of a man page is
>     Raul> "too much".  In my opinion you're proposing a much tougher
>     Raul> problem.
>
> I am afraid you have lost me there. I wasn't proposing to put any
> files in different locations - I think you were (in you last
> paragraph).

I'm thinking in terms of the implications of the policy that you're
sketching out.

For that, you can't just think about specific cases -- you have to
imagine what the policy would mean for the general case.

--
Raul