Re: [RFD]: Question regarding actions to take on --purge of a package.

On 29-Jan-00, 15:29 (CST), Brock Rozen <brozen@torah.org> wrote:
> Obviously there is a need. The problem is that purge means something else
> to different people.

No, "purge" means what it says in dpkg(8):

 purge  The package is selected to be purged (i.e. we  want
        to remove everything, even configuration files).

Note the use of the word "everything".

> Some people might want to save the config files, some may want to save the
> logs.

Then don't use purge. Use remove. That should preserve config files and
logs If it doesn't, the package has bug.

> Some say it's just simpler to remove it all and say that if you wanted to
> save something, copy it out.

No, I said use the right commands.

> I think there should be options like what some Windows program may have in
> that fancy-shmancy uninstaller that many programs use.

I have better things to do with my time than sit and answer questions
from uninstalls. The beauty of the whole dpkg system is that every
package acts the same. This is what "ease-of-use" is all about:
consistency. Having each package act differently and ask a bunch of
random questions is exactly what makes MS Windows a user disaster.

Exactly what is wrong with simply reading the man pages and then issuing
the commands that do the thing you want? You only have to read one:
dpkg (and not even the whole thing!). Once you've done that, you know
what packages are going to do when you remove, and when you purge. All
packages.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read