Re: missing FHS archives

    >> Instead of being slammed for inventing conspiracies where none
    >> would exist, I would be perfectly happy to be proven wrong by
    >> someone providing a link to such archives.  As so many of you
    >> eloquently put, my comments about /usr/libexec make me seem
    >> like an idiot because "its not in the FHS".

    Marcus> GNU (read: the Hurd) is using /libexec (we don't have
    Marcus> /usr) as well.  It is a good idea for some stuff IMHO.
    Marcus> The FHS should probably reconsider its point of view.

I think /usr/libexec (or /libexec on the Hurd) is a good
place to put small daemons like telnetd, ftpd, etc, that
only have one file (the executable).

I guess you could also have

/usr/lib/ftpd/ftpd
/usr/lib/telnetd/telnetd
/usr/lib/midentd/identd
etc

but having one file per directory seems a bit wasteful, to
me. However, for heimdal-servers, I have put all daemons under
/usr/lib/heimdal-servers.

I rather dislike the practise of putting these programs under /usr/sbin
or /sbin, even if it is possible to get them to run in standalone mode
without the aid of inetd.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>