Re: Changes in handling library dependencies

    Jason> You can link a library with missing symbols but when you
    Jason> link a program to that library the linker will complain.

    Brian> Yes, I see you are right. ldd shows libresolv (which was
    Brian> included on the command line), but nothing else (as
    Brian> expected). You learn something everyday...

Hang on. You can't do it!!! At least, not with libtool.

For instance, if a source package compiles

libs/krb5/libkrb5.la and llibs/asn1/libasn1.la

and libkrb5.so depends on libasn1.so

I tried linking ../asn1/libasn1.la into libkrb5.la, but libtool
complains:

Cannot link shared libraries into libtool libraries.

If I manually specify ../asn1/.libs/libasn1.so instead, the parameter
gets ignored.

>From memory, the reason why libtool does this is documentated in the
info page, but from where I stand, it looks rather broken to me.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>