Re: many packages still using /usr/doc

On Sun, 09 Jan 2000, Anand Kumria wrote:

> > Who is expecting 0 here?  We expect this for Debian 2.3, but not
> > for potato.  In potato we expect, that every documentation is
> > available as /usr/doc/<package> (documentation either placed there
> > or accessible via a symlink to /usr/share/doc/<package>).

> No, we expect 0 here.

Do we really have to discuss this again?  We asked the technical
committee some time ago to decide how to smoothly migrate from
/usr/doc to /usr/share/doc and the decision was that every package has
to provide /usr/doc/<package> in potato (either as a directory (for
old packages) or as a symlink to /usr/share/doc/<package> (for new
packages)).  In woody (potato+1) every package has to place its
documentation in /usr/share/doc/<package> with a symlink
/usr/doc/<package> pointing to /usr/share/doc/<package>.  In woody+1
the symlinks have to be removed.

So you have to wait until potato is released before you are allowed to
write bug reports against packages, which place their documentation in
a dictionary /usr/doc/<package>.

Ciao

        Roland

--